Our new GS-C1 certification under the Pilot Standard for Product Manufacturers looks at a companies products and business practices in their totality. Product manufacturers who achieve certification to these rigorous criteria will benefit from the ability to market themselves to consumers who are increasingly aware of the environmental and health impacts of the products they buy. The pilot standard includes rigorous requirements in the following areas:
- Transparency and accountability at the corporate level, including publicly available company-wide social and environmental policies; an effective environmental management system; identification of social and environmental roles and responsibilities; compliance; and publicly available annual reporting.
- Aggressive goals, actions and achievements in major social and environmental impact areas, including workplace conditions; expanded opportunities for local communities; indigenous peoples’ rights; biological diversity; social and environmental assessment; and reductions in greenhouse gases, water use, waste and toxic chemicals.
- Effective and accountable supplier management practices to ensure sustainable sourcing of product raw materials, ingredients, and components.
- Scientific life-cycle assessments on key product lines coupled with aggressive actions to reduce environmental and health impacts. Includes requirements for reducing or eliminating impacts from raw materials; manufacturing; packaging; transport; product use; and the end of product life.
- Ambitious requirements for third-party certification of the company's products to verify social and environmental responsibility of products and to make it easier for consumers to reduce the negative impacts – and increase the social and environmental benefits – of their purchasing.
While the GS-C1 Pilot Sustainability Standard is under review, Green Seal will be piloting a certification program for consumer product manufacturers. The objective of the pilot certification program is to gain practical understanding about the GS-C1 requirements and procedures from companies that are going through the certification process. After the completion of the pilot phase, the final standard will be available for certification to all product manufacturers.
GS-C1 Pilot Standard and Tools:
The pilot standard will be further developed and refined by systematic stakeholder input. We invite the participation of a broad range of interests in the further development of the pilot GS-C1 standard. Information about GS-C1 Standard Development, in progress
For additional information regarding the Green Seal Company Certification Program and the GS-C1 Standard, email@example.com