SANITARY PAPER PRODUCTS
A new edition of the GS-1 Standard was issued on January 8, 2019.
For details on the updates made in Edition 6.2, visit the GS-1 revision page.
To hear directly from Green Seal’s CEO about the major environmental benefits of choosing certified sanitary paper products, visit the Green Seal blog.
The Green Seal Standard for Sanitary Paper Products, GS-1, establishes environmental, health, and social requirements for sanitary paper products for institutional and retail markets, including:
- bathroom tissue
- facial tissue
- paper towels
- and placemats.
The GS-1 Standard addresses the key lifecycle hot spots including: product performance, fiber sources, restrictions on hazardous chemicals, and limits on water and energy use in manufacturing.
Technical Background and Revision Information
- Standard Revision: Sanitary Paper Products (GS-1), 2019
- Resources Cited in Green Seal Standards
- Previous GS-1 Standard (Edition 6.1, 2013)
- Final Revised Standard (Comparison of Edition 6.1 and Edition 6.2)
- Position Paper on Chlorine-Free Papermaking
- Papermaking Additives Revision, 2012
- Animal Testing Revision, 2011
- Contaminant Revision, 2011
- Revision of the Standard, 2008-2010
Latest version: Edition 6.2, Issued on January 8, 2019Download the Full Standard PDF